Wednesday 28 August 2013

Recipe Binder: Quiche

This summer I have absolutely been loving quiche as a quick, light meal option. When Bubbah was little my mum taught me how to make one from scratch and since then I can't stand shop bought ones. Hubby is also a massive fan of my quiche and will quite often request one. You can have a variety of fillings once you've made up the base, which also makes this a brilliant versatile recipe. This recipe makes one quiche which can be cut into four big portions or eight smaller ones.

You will need

  • 250g plain flour
  • 125g butter
  • 300ml single cream
  • 3 eggs
  • filling of choice
  • cheese
What to do
  • Rub together the flour and butter in a bowl until it is like breadcrumbs
  • Either roll out or (if you're a bit of a quick cook like me) press into flan dish
  • Poke with a fork (or the pastry can go a bit soggy in the oven)
  • Mix together the cream and eggs, season with pepper if you like
  • Layer your filling on the pastry
  • Pour the cream and egg mix on top
  • Cover with grated cheese
  • Cook for 25-30 mins on gas mark 6
Filling ideas
  • Bacon
  • Tomatoes
  • Mushrooms
  • Spinach
  • Sweetcorn
  • Chorizo
One of my favourite things about this recipe is that you can freeze whatever you don't eat. Frozen quiche slices take about four minutes at most to heat through in the microwave, or slightly longer 15/20 minutes in the oven. Quite often I make myself quiche Lorraine and Hubby has a veggie one. I serve up our dinner slices and freeze the rest for a quick dinner another night. Great served with new potatoes, potato salad, wedges, salad or coleslaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment