Sunday 8 July 2012

Recipe binder: Chilli sin Carne

For those of you who quite often read my meal plans, you may have noticed me mention OH having something called PKU (google it, it's much easier to read than explain). Basically, it means he has to have less protein in his diet as he doesn't digest it properly, so I often make him different meals to mine (I like meat too much to give it up) which are mostly veg. This is a PKU recipe that I garnered from the mother in law, but we're purchasing a PKU recipe book soon so I can have a play around with the food myself - hurrah!

I love how simple this recipe is and how little mess it makes (because hand washing a million different things gets tiring) however it does take a while to cook - between 20 to 40 minutes depending on your oven strength - so be prepared to be chained to the oven top!

Serves 2


You will need:

  • 1 onion
  • 1 red onion
  • 150g carrots
  • 150g mushrooms
  • 1 large pepper/2 small peppers
  • 400ml tomato passata
  • 100ml water
  • 4 tsp paprika
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 3 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 bay leaves
How to make it:
  • Cut up all the veg
  • Cook in a big pan/wok (you will need a lid for it) until the veg begins to soften
  • Add spices and bay leaves, stir in and cover for a few minutes
  • Add passata and water, add pepper now if you wish
  • Stir well and bring to boil
  • Cover and leave to cook on a low heat until the veg is tender
See, how simple is that?! Once cooked you can serve it up for dinner but it freezes well too so I usually batch cook it and store some in the freezer for a lazy/panicked meal plan week.

No comments:

Post a Comment