Friday 20 June 2014

Budget busting; batch cooking

Something I regularly (freezer space allowing of course) do is batch cook the families favourite meals both to keep shopping costs down and make sure we use up the surplus of tins etc languishing in the cupboard/freezer. So when my mum (who is moving house) handed over a 500g pack of mince from her freezer I combined it with one of mine and made up a mega load of bolognaise sauce, turning half of it into two lasagnes and the other half portioned up into Tuppaware and shoved in the freezer for later lasagne/cottage pie/spag bol.



Other meals I batch cook include fish pie, veg curry (recipe to come) soups, and various pasta bakes. However the possibilities are endless. Again, this depends on the space you have in your freezer and if you're happy to eat fairly similar meals for a few weeks. However it can come in handy when you know time is going to be tight in the near future; I filled an entire chest freezer with batch cooked meals in preparation before Bubbah was born and I had three weeks where dinner could simply be picked out by me or hubby and thrown in the microwave while the other held a screaming baby suffering from the dreaded colic. It also helps out when money is tight and you do have odds and ends to use up in the cupboards.

What meals do you like to batch cook?

No comments:

Post a Comment