Sunday 27 January 2013

Meal Planning Monday; 28th January 2013

Hello everybody, what a relief it is to finally be rid of all our snow! Last week was still rather quiet but we managed to get outside a few times, just to help break out from the cabin fever. Bubbah also expanded his enjoyment of running water (he gets very excited when I fill the sink to wash up) via a bath toy fish:



Last week's meal plan went fairly well, although home made pizza got swapped for Domino's and chicken tikka was swapped for previous batch cooked meals from the freezer (although the chicken tikka was made and frozen for future use). I catalogued our freezer this weekend (because clearly that's a high priority thing everyone should do...right?) and discovered that hubby has loads of meals stacked up in there when I batch cook and he decides he then doesn't fancy it for ages afterwards. However, not for much longer!

This week the meal plan is fairly simple and consists of mainly food from the freezer that's begging to be used up...


  • Freezer meal - ratatouille for hubby and bolognaise with potato for me
  • Freezer meal - vegetable bake for hubby and mac n cheese for me
  • Vegetable soup for hubby's fast day, mayonnaise pigs in blankets for me
  • Hunters chicken (jarred sauce as it was on offer and I wanted to examine the ingredients before trying to make my own) with roast potatoes
  • Home made pizza
  • Vegetable soup again for hubby's fast day, fish pie or fish fingers and chips for me.

I'm also batch cooking vegetable pasta bake (tomatoes, two different types of peppers, red and white onions, mushrooms and sweetcorn) for hubby to take to work for his lunches. I'm hoping to make a few mini batches of cheesy vegetable bake, mac n cheese, apricot rice and chicken, turkey tikka and potato slices for Bubbah to enjoy over the next few weeks.

This is what happens when you let a baby feed themselves...

As always I am linked up with Mrs M so head on over there and have a nose at what everyone else is cooking up this week.


8 comments:

  1. the veg bake sounds lovely. I'm veggie although the family's not so I'm on the lookout for simple, or make ahead veggie meals as they get stroppy if there are too many veggie meals and not enough meat! Your bubba has the most adorable smile and certainly looks like he enjoyed that meal. Makes me very nostalgic for the days when mine were that small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby much prefers veggie meals so our freezer is well stocked up with them. In a way it's helped me cut down on meat too because I can't be bothered to cook more than one meal!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great menu!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the ease of freezer meals. I'd batch cook more if I had the freezer space. How do you freeze Mac cheese? Do you just freeze the sauce? I've tried freezing it all made up but it neverdefrosts well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire, I make the sauce quite thick (as this helps Bubbah pick it up) and cook the mac n cheese as normal then freeze and simply cook it in the microwave for about 5 minutes/until it's no longer frozen. Hope that helps :)

      Delete
  4. We have loads of meals in the freezer too as my other half takes them to work for lunch. I find it easier now to make something like chilli 6 portions at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big fan of batch cooking (but maybe that's just because I'm lazy!) Sounds like a great menu for the week!

    ReplyDelete